Sunday, March 17, 2013

A Roadblock

By Linda Grupp Boutin

The week started on such a high note with one of my closest friends sharing her story at CoffeeBreak, our church's special ministry for women. Every month this is a fun night of desserts, games, camaraderie, tips, worship, and finally one of our congregation sharing her story. I had worked with this friend for several months helping her to prepare her presentation. This month was movie night with a short clip from "The Wizard of Oz" and comfy pajamas and slippers for our attire.

This special ministry that I call the CoffeeBreak Prep Team has become a wonderful way for me to share special times with our speakers. Inevitably the process of writing out their story raises many issues and painful times. By the end of the half hour speaking, our speakers have turned the story around and talk about how the Lord provided the things they needed to confront and overcome whatever trials they have lived through. I have been doing this for 3 years now and I look forward to what the stories will bring next year.

What are you writing about?
But to get back to this week, by Tuesday I realized a cold had settled into my chest. Still trying to ignore it, I went to the Aspiring Writers' Forum Wednesday night. My voice croaked and cracked and generally wasn't anything like my normal tone. Coleene said to one of the members, "Bet she can't help but talk tonight." And of course, her prediction came true. Then Thursday I met with my co-leader Traci, and our next two speakers to help them tune up their stories for presentation. Three hours later I finally admitted to myself that this was more than a cold, now my temperature showed this had grown into the flu and now I was losing my voice altogether.

And this was not the worst this flu had to dish out, sleepless nights led to listless days, no voice at all to speak with much less celebrate. But the spirit springs within. Friends rallied and understood my absences. Some mornings I awoke thinking, "Aha, I've shaken this." Only to have the chest rattling spasms wrack my body again. It's amazing how the body keeps striving for wellness, trying to find that happy equilibrium that we call health.

So though I may not be dancing in celebration, within my gratitude overflows for a life filled with friends, fellowship and fulfillment provided with plentiful sprinklings of blessings from above. Happy St. Patrick's Day to one and all. Be sure to count your blessings along with any coins dropping from the pot of gold above.

8 comments:

  1. Awww- sorry you've been ill. :(. Hope you are feeling better soon. I had a chuckle with "my Patrick" during service. Pastor announced St. Patrick's day, and my guy burst out with a triumphant "Yes!" It was funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fun how engaged "your Patrick" is on Sunday. He pays closer attention than many others and I love it when his enthusiasm bubbles over! As for me, I keep thinking every morning that I am fine, just before I start coughing again!

      Delete
  2. Good post Linda, I share the bug. Doesn't matter how I got the bug, what is important is that we live in the now, sharing all that is important. Happy St. Patrick's day to all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Gary, I have shared so many things with you over the last 35 years. Why not share a bug on St. Paddy's Day!

      Delete
  3. I'm so sorry for you Linda. We need you well and strong again. Get your rest and stay comfy cozy with Gary and both dogs keeping you warm. Happy Saint Patty's Day to you both too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following my blog Doug, trying to not cough and feel better. Some small success there. Praying to make it to the Forum on Wednesday.

      Delete
  4. Aye, Lassie, Maybe what you need is a good shot of Irish Whisky. No? I won't tell.

    Well, how about just relaxing, closing your eyes and imagining little butterfly prayers going out from all of us praying for your health to return. Sound good! Hope so. We love you and miss you and do not be discouraged. Remember ALL those Coffee Break stories where God makes things all work together. Coke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keeping those in mind my friend, particularly given the drama of last night! He can turn anything to the good.

      Delete